Mid-century modern inspired TV stand

Since I had purchased a new TV when I moved into my apartment, I needed a new stand to go with it. I wanted to try to build something that was mid-century-modern-esque. Pretty simple but it’s all I know how to do at the moment. Glad I like the style!

I did a little work in SketchUp to get an idea of size and look.

00-sketchup-e1445894877635

I decided to build the box out of birch plywood and connect everything using dowels and glue.

After I had acquired all of the wood from Home Depot, I cut what I needed and began drilling the dowel holes with the Joint Crafter Dowel Jig I bought.

01-pocket-hole-jig-e1445895038631

First dowel hole ever!

02-pocket-hole-and-dowel-e1445895889892

Once I got the hang of how to drill the holes, I began measuring and drilling holes for all of the vertical pieces.

03-drilled-holes-ready-to-go-e1445895840677

This took some time but I finally got all of the holes drilled.

04-more-holes-e1445895777309

Here is the base with the three vertical pieces installed.

05-place-vertical-pieces-e1445895722385

The next step was to put the top on. I made a mistake with drilling the dowel holes for the middle support. This made it so I couldn’t put the top on. I had to remove the dowels from the middle support and just use glue. Oops.

06-place-top-and-clamp-e1445895677302

I used wood putty to fill the imperfections in my joints. I don’t know if I used the wrong kind or didn’t sand enough but when I stained it dried slightly lighter than the wood. Oops again.

07-wood-putty-to-cover-imperfections-e1445895615280

Here you can see the stand with one coat of stain.

08-first-coat-of-stain-e1445895568456

Here you can see that I didn’t wipe the glue off well enough in my construction phase. The stain didn’t adhere to it well at all. Oops for a third time. I didn’t try to fix this because I was impatient.

09-glue-mark-e1445895530444

I ended up moving ahead with applying the polyurethane (about a week later).

11-poly-e1445895356744

10-poly-e1445895439696

After the polyurethane was dry I started to think about where I wanted the legs.

12-leg-placement-e1445895225506

I was nervous to drill into the wood but it turned out fine. Added a fifth leg in the middle for more support.

13-screw-leg-hardware-e1445895181984

And done! I think it looks great with the TV and it turned out pretty much how I wanted it. I did make a lot of mistakes and probably wouldn’t use plywood again, but I’m still pretty happy.

14-done-e1445908775553

Project cost: $115 (including the cost of the dowel jig)
Project time: 3-4 weeks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>